Next year, as millions of students head to college for the very first time it can be a huge help to have a few inspirational words of encouragement. They will be faced with four or more years of stress and emotional turmoil due to the workload that will be on most of their shoulders. However, climbing one mountain at a time will give students the unique opportunity of reaching the peak; if you weren’t college you wouldn’t be able to reach the peak and see what’s over the horizon. Usually, it’s a career and a life of financial security, which will make all the sleepless nights and multiple page papers worth it. In the meantime, here are 5 motivational quotes for college-bound students.
- Tom Petty offers this mischievous quote to college-bound students, “You have four years to be irresponsible here. Relax. Work is for people with jobs. You’ll never remember class time, but you’ll remember time you wasted hanging out with your friends. So, stay out late. Go out on a Tuesday with your friends when you have a paper due Wednesday. Spend money you don’t have. The work never ends, but college does…” While it is important to get good grades, Mr. Petty is right in some regards.
- Steve Jobs, founder of apple computers, offers this bit of wisdom: “Your time is limited, don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma, which is living the result of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other’s opinion drowned your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”
- Author H. Jackson Brown Jr. said, “Don’t say you don’t have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresea, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.” What Mr. Brown is saying is that we are all given the same opportunities and not just with the amount of time we have, but also the resources.
- And the great jazz singer Ella Fitzgerald offers this bit of great advice, “Just don’t give up trying to do what you really want to do. Where there’s love and inspiration, I don’t think you can go wrong.” In college all you have to do is find your daily inspiration and let yourself succeed with out letting all the stress stop you.
- Lastly, this might not be one of the top 100 inspirational quotes (of all time) but Malcolm X does offer this fine tidbit of information to college-bound students: “I imagine that one of the biggest troubles with colleges is there are too many distractions, fraternities, and boola-boola and all of that.” Just remember to study and complete your papers before you let yourself get too distracted. In the end, you can prove Mr. X wrong just by receiving your diploma and making an effort to change the world, and yours, for the better.